Friday, September 29, 2006

28 Sep

Would you go to HCC, Houston Campus directly or Would you get an on-line course from HCC from your home with lots of savings ?

The way people learning things have been changed by the internet. It’s convergence and communication power of Internet.

First appointment is at the HCC, Houston Community College(www.hccs.edu)

http://distance.hccs.edu


















Houston Community College
Stephen Levey, Ed.D.
Executive Director
Instructional Resources and Technology

Lorah Gough
Director
Instructional Media Center

Gigi Do, M.A

Executive Director
International Initiatives














After discussion, I got a job for myself that I’ve to brainstorm about today Distance Education, On-Line Education, Internet Education and their impact to the business, economics and other communities. Is there any new concepts between Career and Academic ? How do the businesses choose the employee they are holding on-line degree and offline degree ? (Some online students have more talent since they have been experienced not only as student but also lots of job experiences. And how about MIT open courseware ? Could third world countries get the advantages from this kind of new educations. If it is, how do they approach in the shortest time to achieve the best result ? I think Asian and African countries are getting more new chances to develop their countries today than ever.

As far as I know, according to HCC, there’s are many advantages when provide the some courses as on-line; Some of them are

1) Offline students have more chances to study their works from home and from anywhere. Shortens the distances and time make them more time for other activities and cost saving.
2) Houstonian who stay abroad temporarily can continue their study.
3) Less cost than Campus teaching.

More about on-line learning
Phoenix University
http://www.phoenix.edu/online_learning/

This will also be an article to Burmese Journals when I get back to the home.

Then we are in the Museum of Fine Art, Houston. We got 2 hours to explore the Museum. After taking lunch at Cafe Express, we started our journey. Alan F. Fernandes, Robert and Me. Alan drove and make logistic for us while we were in Houston. Without him we will not be so productive.














Before MFAH, I never think before that there are no such things that I can not share to my friends and others of my journeys. Because I’ve camera and photos, I’ve seen them and I could retold that what I’ve seen. But that was true before entering to MFHA concourse tunnel between the Audrey Jones Beck Building and Caroline Wiess Law Building.

This might be the Best Art of Light Illumination in the world. Sorry friends, I can tell you about this but you could not understand it, you could not feel like me unless you are getting there.

Generally MFAH is a should place in Houston,

Then we went to the Buddha Lounge(http://houston.citysearch.com/profile/41927230/houston_tx/buddha_lounge_galleria_conference_center.html)
For Robert and Erica, Houston Web and Internet Techies.

Robert Nagle
Writing, Multimedia &
Content Management
http://www.imaginaryplanet.net/weblogs/idiotprogrammer/

Erica L.O’Grady
Project Manager
Creativerse

We become very friendly after a while since they are very warm. BarCamp(http://barcamp.org/), Jambo(www.jambo.com), Opensource became our topics. These guys are filling idea and strengths to the Houston IT communities. I’ll make introductions letters to these guys with Burmese qualified techies.



























Then we went to the Water Fall of Houston. See the photos, you will see the Earth dresses in here with two color. One is Green and one is ground. Here again, I got an experience that I could not share to you without you are getting there. This trip is quick but very fantastic. Thanks for Robert and Erica. According to my experiences, whether the visits or trips or experiences is short or long, beautiful or not, it doesn’t matter. The matter is how they change your feelings, emotions and beliefs. Water Fall trip is quick but I think this will last forever.

Here Robert share me a thing that we Burmese people have to develop our own educations course and system of our cultures to market internationally. This is very meaningful I think, this is important not only for me but for all Burmese. Thanks Robert, this might be your great gifts to me. And I’d love the your MP3 of Houston.

Erica, thanks for BarCamp idea, you will see very soon there will be Burmese BarCamp. 































Houston' Street














Then our last destination of the day is NewComer Charter High School. ESCUELA PARA RECIEN LLEGADOS

Morica Rivas
Principal
Houston Independent School District
Newcomer Charter High School
mrivas@houstonisd.org




























I met educators and teachers.
Here I wanted to be a listener, not the speaker. I could get more from them.

Here we saw Definitions of Educations on the Wall



























Here teaching system is very Flexible and Adjustable, they listened the comments and feedbacks from the Community, Parents and Students. Then adjust the system as necessary. Sometime teachers visit to the studnets and parents' home.

I've asked some questions to the Principal;

1)What is his most impressive thing that he is doing today ?
2)What is the most challenging tasks for him ?
3) What would be the Idol school he think ?
His ansewer are
1)Need More personl contact 1-1 between teachers and students.
2)Need Clear Instructions and presentations and The Goals must know, parents, teachers, students.
3) School should provide both Acadimadically and professionally standards to the students.
4)Good transition for higer education also important.

4) How do you measure the Quality of the class
He answered;
Graduate Rate
Attendance Rate


The Difference Between Burmese Schools and Newcomer Charter High School(NCHS), Houston, Texas.

First of all, I noticed that most students were allowed for coffee on all teaching times in NCHS. In Myanmar, the school do not allow the coffee while teaching. Have you ever think Teaching with Cuppachino is how nice ? :)

There are many arts and symbols of students on Wall. I saw lots of feelings and expressions of the students via wax painting on the every outside walls of classrooms.

Here a gril with her kid also attending the class. When we look at the tables, coffee and the non-uniform dresses in the room, but all the students attentions were focusing to their learning.

Most Myanmar Public and Private Schools are very teacher Dependent. Teachers have to choose the topic, initiate the topics, deliver the course, then examin the studnents. I mean there are more teacher and student contancts than Students to students contacts in Myanmar Class Room. They are also very obidience to the teacher. No coffee or no talking is required in the class. But it seems that the students attentions and thoughs are diversifying. No questions and memorizing is a common knowledge journey culture of most south east asian nations.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's some of the photos you took.

Looks like you are a faster blogger than I am!

12:29 PM  
Blogger ZawZaw said...

HELLO KO YE,I appreciate you for I'll read your articles when you get back to yangon.I know one thing,that is "I don't know anything".Me and young mans well need to more leaning experience and
knowlage.

2:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home